CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 9, 2008

SNCO Induction Ceremony

Yesterday proved to be a very busy day for Michael. First he had the award Ceremony and then it was a big night with the Senior Non Commissioned Office Induction Ceremony.It was a really great night!

The night started off with Social Hour. This is just a time to come and talk with people and meet people that you normal don't get to meet with. As we walked in the room we were shortly greeted by Michael's Commander Lt Col Bobb and his wife. With that greeting came along Congratulations to Michael for a job well done earlier that day. Shortly after that we were greeted by Michael's First Sergeant. Along with more Congratulations as we made our way to the table we were assigned to!

Luckily we were able to sit at the table with Michael's shop. It was so nice to get to talk to some ladies that I knew! After a while of just chatting, the bells rang for everyone to take their seats. In Air Force custom you wait until everyone that is sitting at your table has arrived before you sit down. Then you may sit down. The highest ranking person at the table takes a bit first, then everyone else may beginning eating after that.

After we sat down they introduced the Inductees! They got to walk through Sabers as their name was called. My pictures didn't turn out all that great for this because I forgot to turn the flash off. But I did some tweaking so you could see what the night looked like. After that, we ate dinner which was catered by Texas Roadhouse. It was delicious! We had steak, chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans along with a side salad and cake! Boy, did you feel like you need to roll out of there.

After dinner, we heard from Retired Chief Master Sergeant Hatcher; he had everyone rolling on the floor. He was a great speaker and gave some really great points for becoming today's leaders. He showed some items that represent standards for everyone in the Air Force. He talked about a razor that he got in basic training and what standard it set for him and everyone else. Then he went on and talked about his dog tags and what standards they hold yesterday, today and tomorrow. He also talked about the stripes that they were and what standards they hold. It was very moving and very funny speech he gave.

After that Command Chief McLean talked and the new base Commander spoke. After they all spoke, then they had the Inductees come back up and receive a Wall hanging that has a Master stripe with their line number on it. It's very nice!

After that was all done, then they said the Airman's Creed and sang the Air Force Song! IF you haven't ever heard the Airman's Creed, it is one of the most powerful things I have heard and read! It had me in tears as I listened to a room of AIRMEN repeat this Creed!


THE AIRMAN'S CREED


I AM AN AMERICAN AIRMAN,
I AM A WARRIOR
I HAVE ANSWERED MY NATION'S CALL

I AM AN AMERICAN AIRMAN
MY MISSION IS TO FLY,FIGHT, AND WIN,
I AM FAITHFUL TO A PROUD HERITAGE,
A TRADITION OF HONOR
AND A LEGACY OF VALOR

I AM AN AMERICAN AIRMAN,
GUARDIAN OF FREEDOM AND JUSTICE,
MY NATION'S SWORD AND SHIELD,
ITS SENTRY AND AVENGER,
I DEFEND MY COUNTRY WITH MY LIFE

I AM AN AMERICAN AIRMAN
WINGMAN, LEADER, WARRIOR
I WILL NEVER LEAVE AN AIRMAN BEHIND,
I WILL NEVER FALTER

AND I WILL NOT FAIL

This was so powerful as they repeated this! I am pretty sure that everyone had chills as this was done.

It was a great night! Michael and I had a great time and were totally exhausted by the time we got home. The pictures of Michael and I were taken after we got home and we look like we have been out all night. But we truly had a great night and Michael looked HOT in his Mess Dress!

2 comments:

The Todd Family said...

What an exciting thing! Congratulations to you BOTH! I know you have both worked hard and sacrificed a lot for Michael to get there!! It's so exciting to see your fun pictures! You're to good at being a faithful blogger! Much better than I am!

26th Ward Young Women said...

Sherrie (and Michael) - thanks for your comment on my blog. And Sherrie, of course I remember you (and Michael)!!! Hi to both of you. Sounds like you both have had great adventures with the Air Force. Congrats on your success Michael. BTW, You're family is beautiful! Keep in touch...I update my blog sporadically, but check my friends blogs almost everyday! So, keep up the updating...I'll try and do the same. So good to hear from you and congrats on baby #4!